Monday, October 29, 2012

Update 10/28

Today way a good day, hopefully it'll hold us over for a couple days since we won't be able to get there because of this weather mess. So here's our update for Sunday...Yay dad finally slept last night! (Up until last night he had been restless and agitated and not sleeping) He got up and they got him out of bed around 8:30. They got him back into bed at about 11. He was given his regular dose of seraquil but didn't need any extra meds to calm him. So that's really good. Then he took a nap for about 2.5 hours.  Apparently he was really chatty and funny this morning cracking up his nurse and his aide. He was telling stories, dancing (while seated of course) and doing a cheer! (No it wasn't the Eagles cheer but I'm sure that'll be next.) He really wants water because his mouth is so dry and we feel so bad because we cant give it to him yet.  But the nurse seems really happy with everything.
After his long and restful nap Dad woke up and was really cracking us up. Jim you woke up a funny guy! He pointed at mom and said, "I went to bed a funny guy too." He was laying there in his bed with his eyes closed and his silly grin on his face because he liked being funny. He was talking a lot about prayers and mass and his brothers and sisters. All of his story telling mannerisms were there...like in his delivery or eyebrow raises or things he would do or say...so it was really cool to see and hear. But he is in a lot of pain so thats hard to see and hear about. Up until this point he has not complained or asked for pain meds and has said no most of the time when we asked him. We were sort of wondering when this would happen because we have heard that recovering from a brain injury is worse than the worst hangover you have ever had or can ever imagine. So you can just imagine how much this sucks for him. He actually said that he is in so much pain that he feels like a "broken toy" and that he thinks he had heart attack or something because he hurts so bad. They prayers are working and we know that he feels them so keep sending them.

I'll end by making you all laugh and leave you with funny things that Dad said today:

I told the nurses the funniest thing I ever said an they were all laughing!

I did everything I could to feel better. I prayed everything I could think of.

We didn't call it white mass we called it Chinese thunder mass.

He was singing "go granny, go granny, go, granny go."

Well i was gonna take a nap, but ill tell one more story.

You're a little fairy for not getting me water. (to Matt) 

Mom: Jim you woke up funny.
Dad (pointing at mom): I went to bed funny too.

The first time they came to take his temp:
Nurse: Jim can I take your temp?
Dad: I'm just gonna call you Aunt Marie. (For anyone that doesn't know, Marie is his 'take control' -we wont say bossy :) - sister. We say this with much affection and appreciation.)

The second time they came to take his temp:
Nurse: Jim can I take your temp?
Dad: Did you expect me to say yeah? Yeah, just shit in my mouth.

Dad: I'm gonna build an aircraft. That would be really hard.
Mom: why would you want to do something so hard
Dad: BECAUSE I'M STUPID!

He was talking about building barriers so it didn't flood...
Ally: what's gonna flood?
Dad: everything! Maybe you should talk to Matt so you don't sound so stupid!

Jami: Dad give me a kiss bye I'm leaving...
Dad: You can kiss my ass goodbye. (then laughed)

Dad: Aunt Ei (his sister) was listening to my conversations and stole 13 Mass cards. And I asked her 'Do you even feel bad?' and she said (he did his girly voice and a shrug) No.
Mom: Well why didn't she feel bad?
Dad: She didn't even feel bad because they were for all the dead people.

3 comments:

  1. WOW...Awesome!!! I am just sitting here laughing out loud because i know all to well exactly what these conversations sounded like! Make sure Jim knows we are ALL thinking of him

    Bill Myers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, atleast Jimmy still knows who "the boss" of the family is !
    (when mom is not there). And remember family...if somebody doesn't "take control" nothing gets done on time !!!
    Incase you don't remember/know the church does do a WHITE MASS, it is said in honor of doctors, nurses, all medical staff. love, hugs, and kisses xxx



    ReplyDelete
  3. Gab and Karen,
    I have laughed my ass off at these funny things. You know that is how we cope with these kind of things. I remember when my Dad was losing his mind. Some of the things he could come up with. You don't want to hurt their feelings, but they are funny.I'm thinking of you daily. Glad to hear everything is positive. Love to you all. Nana

    ReplyDelete