Sunday, November 4, 2012

Update 11/3

Walking in to the room today was the first day that he seemed excited to see me. He smiled really big and told me that I was in his dream and he was just talking about me. He said to his aide "see she was the one I was telling you about in my dream. This is just really funny." Then he took my hand and kissed me hello. What a great  feeling...then he asked if I brought the pizza. Pizza was his obsession for the morning, everything was about pizza and he was asking everyone what their favorite was. Then he wanted to know where we were ordering...we talked about pizza a lot. But with every plan he came up with, he always said make sure you have fun. He still loves to make us laugh and wants everyones attention. Today his aide was watching tv so he said "yo! you're supposed to be watching us. Turn that tv off." Then the aide had his head down an dad goes "what am I waking you up?" and then the kid was just sitting there and he goes "you over there dreamin?!" At times he was very lovey. In the middle of his story he told us he loved us very very much, come here and give me a kiss and hug. He knows that he fell and bopped his head and he is more aware of how hard he is working to get better and that he needs help from other people. He told us "it's not that I feel good or bad. I am just completely wore out! I can take one step but if I take the next ill be crying." And later "I'm cheeking everyone because I have cracked skin" we responded "awwwwwwwww" so he said "not aw! Maybe you guys can help me a little better than you've been helping me." And the funniest thing that happened today came when the respiratory therapist came in to change the dressing on his trach and dad was being really good but said it really hurt. Then he goes "come on man what's it gonna take you all week to do this little job?! That hurts!"
So, each day that we go in we feel a little bit more encouraged about the little steps that Dad is taking. He is able to stay up a little bit longer and sit in his chair rather without becoming too restless. Although he becomes "obsessed" with a subject and can't let it go, he is in there and you can see it in his story telling and gestures. Keep on sending those prayers and good energy!
Here's a (partial) family pic.
Dad refused to smile.

1 comment:

  1. Our prayers are still coming. My group sends their love and I will be up there with all of you in just a few hours. Can't wait to hug everyone

    God Bless
    ox Rita/Aunt Rita

    ReplyDelete